Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sick Day(s)

Well, I've caught some awful bug and am home trying to recover.  I know I'm really sick when all I can do is lie in bed half sleeping, half watching tv all day and don't even get any reading or knitting done.  The past few days have definitely been a lesson in not doing anything.

But it's practically the middle of April and I haven't shared the last pair of socks from March madness.  So here they are, in Malabrigo Sock, pattern is EZ's Moccasin Socks with Twisted Stitch Motifs:


These socks have not 1, not 2, not even 3... but 7 (7!?!?!?!) cables.  That means there are 7 cable charts!  Plus the foot is knit flat and there are cables on every row which means having to mentally reverse the charts (I'm not good at reversing things. I've been a dancer my whole life and to this day if you teach me a dance facing in one direction and then ask me to turn halfway around and face the back wall instead of the front wall - or worse do a quarter turn and face the side wall instead - it takes me an embarrassingly long time and several bouts of closing my eyes and flipping back and forth before I can adjust).


The reason the foot is knit flat is because the heel and sole stitches are picked up along the edges.  This makes it so that if you wear hole in the heel or the toe, the hole won't travel all the way up the foot or the leg.  It also means you can rip out the sole, pick up the stitches again and knit a new one using fresh, yarn.  It's brilliant.  Plus since the places you are most likely to wear a hole are the places on the sock that most people don't see - your "replacement sole" yarn doesn't even have to match the original sock.  (Actually you can have mismatched socks from the get-go if you like, but that's not what I did for these).


These socks were HARD.  I may have lost some eye sight staring at the patterns into the wee hours of the night.  But they were completely and totally worth it.  They are soft and squishy and beautiful.  I desperately want to keep them for myself.  Sadly they are not for me.  They go in the box of Christmas Future.  I need a break from those charts, but as soon as my eyeballs recover, I will be knitting these for myself.  Pretty, pretty cables.


No comments:

Post a Comment