Sunday, March 6, 2011

March Madness is a state of mind

I've been hit bad by madness this March.  This month is all kinds of crazy and just to add to my full schedule and lengthy to-do list, I've decided to attempt to knit 6 (hopefully 7) pairs of socks this month.

In all fairness, I decided to do the sock marathon before I knew just how whacked out this month was going to be.  (Yes, I know, it's only the 6th but I started working on my taxes, and started trying to build a new website, and asked for a raise and... well, I don't advise trying to do these things all at the same time.  Lesson learned.)

The reason I need to make a fuss about knitting lots of socks is because I created my own Self Imposed Sock Club (SISC).  This is the brilliant idea of Stephanie Pearl-McPhee but she is much better at staying up to date than I am.  The basic idea is you pick 12 patterns, match them with 12 skeins of yarn and stick them in a big bag so you can pick a new one each month and be surprised by what you get.

I am failing at this on all accounts.   (Which I'm totally fine with... it's only knitting afterall).

I haven't finished any of my months so far.  Actually, the only month I've started is January.  I might have finished, except that I didn't like the original pattern with the yarn of the month (I tried really hard to have stick-to-it-tive-ness but since the socks were for me, I didn't want to get into a situation where I wouldn't wear them because I didn't like them, so I frogged and started over.  The new pattern was from the same book, so I figure that was close enough.)

The January yarn is STR Mediumweight in Tide Pool:


The reason that I didn't get to finish is that I was very busy working on a blanket for my friend who got married last weekend.  The blanket was Jared Flood's Tweed Baby Blanket   but I made it bigger.  (A few days ago he updated the pattern to include a bigger size... go figure).

That blanket turned out beautifully and I want one for myself (just ordered the yarn to make it the other day... it's my Mardi Gras yarn.  Some people drink for Mardi Gras.  I buy yarn.  Then I attempt to not buy yarn for 40 days.)





So this month I've got January, February, and March of the SISC.  Plus I have two pairs of socks that were supposed to be for this past Christmas but didn't make it (because of the large afghan and giant shawl from this post here).  And I couldn't help myself and started knitting my January Rockin' Sock Club socks.  So that's 6 pairs.  I'd love to squeeze in a bonus pair... but we'll have to see about that.  

So here is my progress report, along with pictures of the yarn (because who doesn't love pictures of yarn?  Plus I only have sock photos of one pair)

#1 - January SISC (you already saw this one, just scroll up a little)  Pattern is Bartholomew's Tantalizing Socks.  Sock #1 finished.  Sock #2 - halfway done with the leg.

#2 - Christmas Prezzie for next year.  Pattern is EZ's Mocassin Socks with Twisted Stitch Motifs (this was a Rockin' Sock Club pattern, I'm not sure if it's available to the general public yet)   Sock #1 finished.  Sock #2 - halfway done with the leg.  These are beautiful.  I'm pretty sure I'll be making a pair for myself too.  


#3 - January Rockin' Sock Club 2011.  Yarn is STR mediumweight in the club colorways.  Pattern is Social Network.  I'm almost finished with the 1st sock of this pair (almost to the toe)


#4 - February SISC.  Pattern is Talking Fish.  Yarn is Lorna's Laces Sherpherd Sock in Glenwood.  (Remember how I said I was failing on all accounts?  This was not the original yarn I had selected for this pattern, but I didn't pay attention and this sock requires more yarn than was in the skein of my original choice.  I hope this doesn't happen again with the SISC, but it probably will.  I didn't consider yardage when I matched up the skeins with patterns).  These socks have not been started yet.


#5 - March SISC.  Yarn is Socks that Rock lightweight in Firecracker.  Pattern is Dusty Corners.  These are from last year's sock club.   I haven't started these yet either.



#6 - My brother's 2010 Christmas socks that never happened.  They didn't happen because he told me at Thanksgiving (when I was halfway through knitting them) that he wanted a Fish Hat for Christmas.  So I abandoned the socks.  Then, after Christmas, I weighed what was left of the skein.  Turns out I used more than half the skein.  So off to the frog pond it went.  Now I'm starting over.  But I haven't started over yet.  So I guess technically these were once started, but are now unstarted?  I'm speaking gibberish.  Time to wrap it up.  Here's the yarn.  It's Lorna's Laces... Shepherd Sock Multi??  Something like that.  No pattern yet.


So there you have it.  I have no plan for Pair #7 if I make it that far.  Maybe it will be the Rockin Sock Club March Shipment.  Then I could stay on top of 2 sock clubs this year.  Well, at least through March.

Is this crazy?  This is crazy.  Let the madness begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment